The dramatic rise in degenerative disease attributed to diet and lifestyle has created a demand for solutions to disease prevention and personal health maintenance. What is called for is a new generation of men and women who are capable of offering practical advice on how to live a healthy life in modern society.
During the two weeks of study you will have the opportunity to learn the techniques of effective Health Coaching and experience the power of healthy living. You will leave prepared to be a more effective promoter of natural health care and set up practice as a Professional Macrobiotic Health Coach.
The Macrobiotic Health Coach curriculum has been designed by Bill Tara, co-founder of the Kushi Institute, creator of the International Macrobiotic Institute (Kiental, Switzerland) curriculum and designer of the American and European Kushi Institute Teacher Certification Programmes along with his wife Marlene Watson-Tara.
This is a rare opportunity to study with teachers who are expert consultants and draw on decades of practical experience. Macrobiotic philosophy serves as the foundation of these studies and provides the link between the disciplines and life skills we will explore together.
This course also offers additional tools to enhance professional or Para-professional skills in both the orthodox or complimentary health and healing arts.
The 2015 Macrobiotic Health Coach Course is a unique programme focused on providing a learning experience for men and women who want to contribute to a healthy world. The course is designed to prepare the participants to help themselves and others to achieve personal health goals.
The course will be useful to those students who want to deepen their study of natural health care and macrobiotics as well as those who wish to utilize the training as an addition to their professional services such as fitness coaching, yoga teaching, business coaching or any practice of alternative health care.
Health, Healing and Human Ecology
• Human Ecology and Healthy Living
• Nutritional Science and Human Experience
• A review of Traditional ways of eating
• Nutritional Epidemiology – What the studies say
• Fundamental problems with the modern diet
• George Oshawa’s levels of Illness and health
Health and Emotion / East and West
• Belief and Behaviour in health and healing
• Relationship of health to habit
• Classical definitions of health
• The Mind Body connection
• Basic character qualities in Five Transformations as archetypes to inform understanding.
• Abraham Maslow and Western ideas of Healthy Behaviour
• Five Behavioural Archetypes
Traditions of Nutrition
• Yin and Yang / Understanding Food Energy
• The macrobiotic system of Health Care
• Understanding the energy of foods by growth patterns, environment and effect on body
• Using Yin and Yang classifications to create health
• The Roots of Modern Macrobiotic Dietary practice
• The Economy and Ecology of diet
• The cycle of yin and yang through the seasons
• Examples of food qualities and taste in the Five Transformations
• Living with the Seasons
• Making adaptation to the season and environment
• Basic Dietary changes for personal needs
Natural Foods Cooking & Remedies
Your cooking classes will focus on a hands-on approach to learning. Working alongside Marlene at the teaching station is fun and empowering. Classes will include the selection and preparation of Grains, Bean dishes (including tempeh and tofu), soups, and a variety of vegetable cooking styles, sea vegetables and simple deserts. We will also introduce the basic home remedies. There are 10 cooking classes plus one home remedy class during the programme.
• Kitchen Remedies for Digestive Disorders
• Kitchen Remedies for Common illnesses
• Kitchen Remedies for cooling or heating
• Drinks for elimination and detoxifying
• Kitchen Compresses
• Weight Loss
• Common causes of weight gain
• Calories, Cravings and metabolism
• Women’s Problems
• Menstrual problems
• Pre-Menopause and menopause
• Men’s Problems
• Heart and circulatory system
• Prostate problems
• Health Assessment and Oriental Diagnosis
• The uses and limitations of visual diagnosis
• Understanding the Art of Seeing (Bo-Shin)
• Qualities of excess in skin colour and complexion
• Practical uses of the face map
• Expression and Body Language
• Posture and Body Armouring
• Using tongue Diagnosis
Principles and Practice of Health Coaching
• Orientation to coaching
• The principles of intentional listening
• Bridge building and motivation in healing
• Rules of the game, basic technique and inspiration
• An Ethical approach to Health Coaching
• Leading Support Groups and Healing Circles
• Strategies for healing common health problems
• How to make safe adjustments in diet and lifestyle
• Establishing a health related business
An Invitation to Empowered Living
It is the passion and pleasure of Bill and Marlene to offer their students the very best education for a healthy body and mind. As world-class professionals they draw on science, common sense and ancient wisdom to provide you with practical solutions to healthy living in a comfortable and friendly environment.
The educational and experiential courses that Bill and Marlene created offer you a rare opportunity to gain fascinating insights into lifestyle, nutrition, and mental and emotional well-being.
Their style of teaching is powerful and fun and nourished with delicious modern macrobiotic meals. You will see why their students agree that they are the premier teachers for macrobiotic education and personal discovery.
Two Week Programme
Dates and Cost (contact us)
Welcome & Orientation +Module One
5 Stewartfield Grove, East Kilbride,
Glasgow G74 4XL
The course comprises over 100 hours of study, running daily over the two week period.
Course price includes student’s journals and workbooks, breakfast, lunches, dinners and snacks.
Special Rate for Holiday Inn Hotel, East Kilbride or apartment rentals if required.
Your Teachers -
Since 1967 Bill Tara has been an active advocate for natural heath care. He was the Vice President of Erewhon Trading Company, one of America’s first national distributors of organic foods, and was a co-founder of Sunwheel Natural Foods in London, England.
In 1969 Michio Kushi encouraged him to begin teaching and slowly this became the focus of his work. He has been a health counselor, teacher, author, entrepreneur and creator of health education centers in Europe and North America. His innovative and creative teaching of traditional approaches to health, healing and personal development have taken him to over twenty countries as a seminar leader. He has appeared on a variety of radio and television shows in England, America and Australia speaking on Macrobiotics, Dietary policy and the environment.
In 1975 he founded the Community Health Foundation in London England, a Charitable Trust that was the largest natural health education center in the world. Together with Michio and Aveline Kushi, he created the Kushi Institute and served as Executive Director of the institute programs in London, England and then the International KI in Boston, USA. Bill has served as a senior faculty member for the Kiental Institute in Switzerland and the Naropa University in Boulder, Colorado. He was Chairman of the European Macrobiotic Assembly for four years and served as Chairman of the North American Macrobiotic Congress for two years.
In 1975 he edited and published, Your Face Never Lies, based on the teachings of Michio Kushi, which continues to be one of the most popular books on Oriental Diagnosis. In 1985 he published Macrobiotics and Human Behavior, the first book by a Westerner on the Chinese theory of the Body/Mind connection. His latest book, Natural Body / Natural Mind is available on Amazon.
Bill recently served as the Director of Natural Therapies at the SHA Wellness Clinic in Spain.
For over 30 years Marlene has been actively teaching all aspects of health and wellness. As a teacher of the chiball method, Marlene teaches and incorporates Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates, Chi Ball, and deep relaxation into her daily life and has worked with thousands of clients in many countries seeking to revitalize their lives through the philosophy of a wholefoods plant based diet and exercise.
In addition to her work as a Health Educator, Macrobiotic Counsellor and Cooking Teacher, Marlene has designed various successful programmes ‘The Natural Woman’ and ‘Weight Loss Nature’s Way’. Marlene has been teaching her ‘Living with the Seasons’ workshops in various parts of Europe, America and Australia over the last three decades. She has a list of clients ranging from the movies and arts to members of royal families. In the last 3 years she has been teaching chef’s the art and skill of macrobiotic cooking.
Her dietary advice draws from the fields of macrobiotic nutrition, her studies in Traditional Chinese Medicine and common sense. Marlene writes seasonal articles for Yoga & Health Magazine, Yoga Magazine and is a regular writer for many other health magazines and websites around the world.
Her favourite saying – “If you don’t look after your body, then where are you going to live”
Marlene and Bill are very passionate about inspiring and empowering others to become teachers and to share their work around the globe and that is why they created their hugely successful ‘’Macrobiotic Health Coach Programme’’. Students have come from many countries around the world to study with them. They also facilitate and run seminars and health retreats in various parts of Europe and America for private corporations. Her book ‘Macrobiotics for all Seasons’ is available on amazon.